Feeling a little cold this season? 🥶 Warm up with a hot bowl of pho when you visit this Vietnamese restaurant near Hongdae!
Where to Get Vietnamese Food in Seoul
When I moved to South Korea, one of the very first tips that a coworker gave me was where to get pho in Seoul. Now, it may sound like a random recommendation, but, no, she actually shared the best places to get cheap street food, pasta, and pork cutlet before that. Anyway, I wasn’t exactly very much into pho then, so I got curious if Vietnamese food was popular among Koreans. It turns out that it is, especially since Vietnam is one of the most preferred destinations among Korean travelers, pho is pretty much similar to kalguksu, and it’s a nice meal to have when it’s cold out!
Since that little small talk with my colleague, I’ve become a fan of the iconic Vietnamese soup. It saved me on those days when I’m having flu symptoms and satisfied me when I’m craving for something hot to eat during autumn and winter in Korea. If you too are looking for recommendations, then check out these restaurants in Seoul where you can enjoy some tasty Vietnamese food:
1. Ponyahyang (Hongdae & Yeonnam-dong)
Let me start with my go-to place — Ponyahyang. I live in Hongdae, so I tend to visit this restaurant quite often. You may have heard of the name since it’s a franchise brand, but this particular branch gives off that vibe of a friendly neighborhood store.
As for the food, you definitely can’t go wrong with their traditional Beef Pho. The broth is perfect — it’s light, clean, and just the right level of meaty. I usually have it with fried rice and some fried shrimps, especially when I want to treat myself. These three dishes come as a set for ₩21,000 or $19, but if you want to save money like I do, you can book online here to get it for only ₩18,900 or $17! (New users get extra ₩3,000 or $3 off first booking!) 🎉
2. Annyeong Vietnam (Gwanak-gu)
Near Seoul National University Station on the Green Line is a Vietnamese restaurant in Seoul with a fanfare. During peak hours, expect to wait for around 10 minutes to be seated, but you’ll realize that it’s worth it once you have their bun cha (₩11,000) or bahn mi (₩7,500)! These two are the must-try items, but, of course, if you’re looking for pho, they also have a couple of variations that you can enjoy for around ₩10,000.
3. Plus 84 in Itaewon and Insa-dong
Being the melting pot of foreign cuisine and culture, Itaewon will surely have a couple of Vietnamese restaurants that delight. I like visiting Plus 84, which is just 5 minutes away by foot from Itaewon Station Exit 4. Operated by a Vietnamese chef, you can definitely expect to have a very authentic meal here. I love their Beef Pho (₩9,500 for a medium serving), which you can add extra noodles and meat to for a minimal cost. They also have beef and seafood fried rice, which cost ₩9,500 each. If you want to complete your meal with some fresh spring rolls, you can order a serving for only ₩8,500!
Here’s the menu for Plus 84 branches in Itaewon and Insa-dong:
- Phở (Beef Noodle Soup) for ₩9,500 (M) and ₩11,500 (L)
- Beef Fried Rice for ₩9,500
- Seafood Fried Rice for ₩9,500
- Bún chả (Grilled Pork Noodle Salad) for ₩12,000
- Lemongrass Roasted Pork over Rice for ₩12,500
- Lemongrass Roasted Pork Bánh Mì for ₩6,900
- Roasted Pork Bánh Mì for ₩6,900
- Lemongrass Grilled Beef Bánh Mì for ₩7,500
- Fresh Spring Rolls for ₩8,500
- Fried Spring Rolls for ₩7,500
How to Book Vietnamese Restaurants in Seoul Online
If you’re unfamiliar with booking restaurants online, just follow these 5 simple steps:
- Log in or sign up for WAUG here. (New members get a $3 or ₩3,000 discount coupon! 🎉)
- Select your preferred restaurant from the list above or see more options here.
- Select the date and provide other participant information.
- Check out using your Visa, Mastercard, or AMEX.
- Wait for your voucher/s that we’ll send through the WAUG app, which you can download by clicking below:
Is your method-of-payment issued in South Korea? You can switch the page’s currency to KRW to activate the local card processor and see the other payment options!
Featured image from Plus84 on Facebook.