In lieu of a label or sticker on the passport, those who need a visa to enter South Korea will be issued a Visa Grant Notice.
- Effective July 1, 2020, all Korean embassies will no longer attach visa stickers in passports. Those who need a visa to visit Korea will be provided a Visa Grant Notice instead.
- This document will show the foreigner’s visa status and validity period. The holder must present a printed copy to the Immigration officer upon entry.
- Traveling to Seoul soon? Book restaurants, tours, and attractions on WAUG — Korea’s best travel activity booking platform! Check out the app and sign up here today to get ₩3,000 off your first booking.
What’s a Visa Grant Notice?
If you need a visa to enter South Korea and your application is approved, the Embassy will no longer attach a sticker or label in your passport. Instead, you will be given a Visa Grant Notice.
The Visa Grant Notice is a document that will have your personal details, like your name, nationality, and passport number. It will also show essential information, such as the visa category you applied for, your allowable period of stay, number of entries (single or multiple), and others. You will have to download the Visa Grant Notice, print it out, and present to the Immigration officer upon your arrival.
How to Check, Download, & Print Your Visa Grant Notice
The Korean Embassy that received your application will most likely notify you when your Visa Grant Notice is available. However, if you can’t wait to know if your application is approved (or if you would like to access your visa grant notice), you can always check the Korea Visa Portal. Here are the steps:
1. Visit the Korea Visa Portal
Click this link: https://www.visa.go.kr/.
If the page is not automatically showing in English, find the language selector in the upper right portion of the screen.
When you hover over Check Application Status, a sub-menu will show. Click the first item or Check Application Status & Print, as shown in the photo. You will be redirected to a new page.
3. Provide your passport number and personal information
Here you’ll have to provide three things: your passport number, name in English, and date of birth.
When keying in your name, you’ll have to follow this format: [LAST FIRST]. For example, if your name is Ethan Anderson, type ANDERSON ETHAN. If your full name is Harmony Ashley S. Nam (with ‘S’ being your middle initial), you’ll have to key in NAM HARMONY ASHLEY. The format is the same as when you’re checking the status of your application, as I outlined in this guide: How to Check: Korean Visa Application Status & Result
When you’re done, hit Search.
If your application has been processed and approved, you will find a Certificate button on the lower right portion of the search result. Click this to view, download, and print your Korean Visa Grant Notice.
If you’re seeing a different result or no result at all, this guide may help.
5. Print your Visa Grant Notice
Before you fly into South Korea, make sure to have a hard copy of your Korean visa grant notice. You may print it in color or black-and-white. (I suggest having at least 3 copies for back-up and sending a copy to your email for quick reference.) You will be required to present the document to Immigration upon your arrival.
Granted a visa? Start planning your Korea itinerary!
₩3,000 OFF YOUR FIRST BOOKING
If you have not used WAUG yet, sign up here today and receive a discount coupon worth ₩3,000 or $3. Think of it as our way of congratulating you for your successful application! 😊
When you have the notice, it’s safe to say that you’re all set to travel into the country. Make the most out of your stay by booking the best restaurants and attractions in Seoul, Jeju, Gyeonggi-do, and Busan! Here are a few of our recommendations:
- WAUG Exclusive: Joseon Era Pub in Hongdae (Korean Cuisine)
- Picky Papa Cafe in Gangnam (Cafe & Bakery)
3. Activities & Tours
- Hanbok Experience at Bukchon Hanok Village
- E-Land Moonlight Cruise at Han River
- Nami Island and Petite France Bus Tour (from Seoul)
4. Attraction Passes
Plan your next weekend or overseas trip
Use WAUG — the No. 1 activity booking platform from South Korea! 🇰🇷
To check the official guidelines in accessing, verifying, and downloading the Korean Visa Grant Notice, click here.